As a mom, there are days when my kids are sweet, well behaved, and full of hugs. And then… there’s the other 364 days of the year.
You know the kind I’m referring to, right? The days when one tantrum runs into the next and an entire box of cereal ends up on the floor? When one kid spills a can of paint on the patio and the other sprinkles glitter all over the carpet? When you look so frazzled that the nice lady in the check-out lane at Target asks if you need a hug?! Please tell me I’m not the only mom with days like this!
Parenting is tough business. Hands down, the most challenging thing I’ve tackled in my 29(ish) years. In my early days of motherhood I was easily rattled by the tantrums. I think I was more upset by the crying, tears, and whiny pleas than the boys were. But after enduring approximately 3,476,192 fits from my kiddos, I think I’ve finally figured out the best way to cope with the chaos.
The solution? Take a time out. No, I’m not talking about your kids, I mean you- the mom. It’s amazing what just a few minutes to yourself can do for your outlook on things. I will be the first to admit that sometimes I need a break from the craziness. A few moments to soak up the sunshine, get lost in a juicy romance novel, or indulge in a sweet treat.
Those “mom moments” as I call them, often last for just a few short minutes but they are soooo refreshing. With time being limited, it means that I need to transition to time-out mode fast. That’s why I love this 5 Minute Mint Chocolate Mug Cake- it’s fast, easy, nutritious, and (most importantly) delicious!
I recently had one of those aforementioned days when crying fits far out numbered smiles and hugs. I whipped up this delicious mug cake and stole a few minutes for myself to enjoy it on the front porch. I don’t know if it was the sunshine, the fresh air, or the comforting chocolate cake, but by the time the last crumb was gone I felt like a new mom, ready to tackle the rest of the day.
you refocus and de-stress from a really hectic day? I hope that the next time you find yourself having to scrub paint from your patio or vacuum glitter from your floor, that you can take a few minutes for yourself to relax, you deserve it!
5 Minute Mint Chocolate Mug Cake- Paleo & Gluten Free
FOR THE MUG CAKE
1 large egg
1 small ripe banana (if your banana is large, only use about 3/4 of it)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 tsp organic raw honey
2 Tbsp. high quality cocoa powder
Pinch of Himalayan pink salt
1 tsp peppermint extract
1. Thoroughly mash banana until all lumps are removed.
2. In a small bowl, whisk the egg.
3. Add the mashed banana to the egg.
4. Add all remaining ingredients, whisk until everything is well incorporated. (NOTE: If you want a sweeter tasting cake feel free to add more honey.)
5. Pour batter into a large microwave safe mug.
6. Microwave for 2-3 minutes, until thoroughly cooked. Time may vary depending on your microwave. While the cake cooks, move on to making the mint cream topping.
FOR THE MINT CREAM TOPPING
1 can of full fat coconut milk. thoroughly chilled
1 tsp organic raw honey
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp peppermint extract
Tiny pinch of Himalayan pink salt
Fresh mint leaves for garnish
1. Once the coconut milk is chilled. carefully scoop out the coconut cream that has hardened on top of the coconut milk.
2. Add the coconut cream to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Whisk coconut on high speed until small peaks begin to form, about 3-4 minutes.
3. Next, add the remaining ingredients and whisk on medium speed until everything is fully mixed in. (NOTE: sample to see if additional honey or peppermint are needed to suit your particular tastes.)
4. Once mug cake has cooled slightly, add mint cream topping and garnish with fresh mint.