Winter its the time of year for wool scarves and snow boots, frostbitten fingers and nights by the fireplace. Its Bourbon Hot Toddy season!
I once read something that forever changed my outlook on winter. It was an old Scandinavian proverb that said theres no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.
I read those words of wisdom (on a Lands End catalog, of all places) and instantly realized that nothing should get between me and a few minutes of fresh air and subzero sunshine, even in the middle of winter. From that moment on, Ive made it a point to get outside every day. I dont care if that means putting on so many layers that I can barely walk, or bundling myself up until I look like the abominable snowman, Im going outside. Every. Single. Day.
Not gonna lie, the weather thats blown our way is downright atrocious! A surprise snowstorm, 50 mph winds, and a wind chill of -11 made for one spectacular day of winter hibernation.
- 4 oz of your favorite bourbon
- 4 oz of freshly squeezed lemon juice (orange juice would be tasty too)
- 2 TBS honey
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 pinches of ground clove
- Optional: for a sweeter tasting drink, add 2 TBS of sugar
- Combine all of the ingredients into a small sauce pan.
- Simmer on medium heat for 5-7 minutes, or until all of the ingredients have combined. Stir occasionally.
- Serve hot and garnish with one of the cinnamon sticks. Cheers!