Thank you to Arla Dofino for inspiring and sponsoring this recipe and giveaway!
When the busy holidays have your head spinning like the glitter in a snow globe, it’s important to set aside time to enjoy with your family. One way that our family regroups during the holiday season is by enjoying a delicious, wholesome breakfast together. Although our days may be jam packed with festive fun, at least for a few moments in the morning, we’re all gathered around the table sharing a special meal.
Today I’m really excited to be sharing a delicious breakfast recipe with you- Chicken & Waffles with Creamy Havarti Cheese & Cranberry Compote! This may be a twist on an old classic- chicken and waffles- but don’t let that fool you. This breakfast that is packed full of nutritious and wholesome ingredients, including Arla Dofino Creamy Havarti Cheese that’s made without added hormones or preservatives. Now that’s something I feel good about feeding my family! (Click here to get a coupon for $1.00 off of any Arla Dofino cheese.)
My family loves the complex flavors of this meal (and I love it because it’s so fast and easy to prepare- a necessity during the busy holiday season)! I start by mixing up the batter for delicious cornmeal and rosemary waffles. While they get all crispy and golden brown in the waffle maker, I prepare the lightly battered chicken and pop it in the oven to “fry”. Of course, when nobody’s looking, I just might sneak a few pieces of the Havarti cheese- but shhhh don’t tell Shaun!
Then once the chicken and waffles are ready, I carefully assemble each little stack of healthy, cheesy-breakfast, deliciousness! To begin, place one slice of creamy Havarti cheese on top of a waffle and then a piece of the chicken. I like to put them back in the oven for a few minutes so that the cheese melts and gets all ooey-gooey. Then, right before serving I place a little dollop of cranberry compote and a sprig of rosemary on top of each stack.
This Chicken & Waffles with Creamy Havarti Cheese & Cranberry Compote is the perfect balance of savory and sweet. I love getting a hint of rosemary and a tangy punch of cranberry with every bite. But let’s be honest… the star of this meal is the cheese! You already know how much I adore cheese, so you can imagine how excited I was when I tasted this farm fresh Havarti from Arla Dofino. It’s everything a good cheese should be- creamy, smooth, and crafted with quality, natural ingredients.
Sounds pretty tasty doesn’t it? Well, my friends, this is your lucky day! In addition to the coupon I shared with you above, the folks over at Arla Dofino are giving away some fabulous prizes valued at over $60 – just in time for the holidays! One of my readers WILL WIN!
ENTER THE CONTEST IN 3 EASY STEPS:
1. Click on the “Happy Havarti Holidays” image below and “follow” Arla Dofino on Pinterest.
2. While on Pinterest, visit their “Happy Havarti Holidays” board and copy the link to the recipe that you like best.
3. In the comments section below, paste the recipe link and tell me why you chose it.
I will announce the winner December 16th, so go ahead and enter today!
The Happy Havarti Holidays Breakfast Prize Pack Includes:
– Crate & Barrel mixing bowl
– Anthropologie whisk
– Crate & Barrel cheese grater
– Coupon for one FREE Arla Dofino product
– Set of Arla Dofino recipe cards
So what are you waiting for? Go enter to win the Happy Havarti Holiday Breakfast Prize Pack now, ONE OF YOU WILL WIN! Also, be sure to use this $1.00 off coupon so your family can enjoy a delicious breakfast of Chicken & Waffles with Creamy Havarti Cheese & Cranberry Compote this holiday season.
Don’t forget to share your favorite Arla Dofino breakfast recipes across using #HavartiHolidays!
Chicken & Waffles with Creamy Havarti Cheese & Cranberry Compote
For the Waffles:
1 1/2 cups self-rising cornmeal
1/3 cup coconut oil (melted)
1 1/2 cups lowfat buttermilk
1/4 tsp salt
1 TBS chopped fresh rosemary
For the Chicken:
3 thinly sliced chicken breasts (organic), cut into bite-sized pieces
1 cup self-rising cornmeal (the same that is used in the waffles)
2 tsp salt
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 stick organic salted butter
For assembling & Garnish:
8oz Arla Dofino Creamy Havarti Cheese
Cranberry compote (homemade would be best, but store bought works fine too!)
Several sprigs of fresh rosemary
To Prepare the Waffles:
- Whisk together the egg, coconut oil, buttermilk, salt, and rosemary. Add the self-rising cornmeal, whisk again to combine.
- Place several spoonfuls of the waffle batter onto the waffle iron (you want the waffles to be small). Cook according to waffle maker directions (about 3-5 minutes).
For the Chicken:
- Preheat your oven to 425*.
- Combine the self-rising cornmeal, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper into a bag.
- Add the chicken pieces, shake to evenly coat each piece.
- Melt the butter in an oven-safe baking dish.
- Place the battered chicken into the melted butter, bake for 8 minutes at 425*. After 8 minutes, flip each piece of chicken and return to oven. Bake until done (about 4-5 more minutes, depending on the thickness of your chicken). Leave your oven on (see below).
- Assemble the waffle stacks on an oven safe tray or parchment lined baking dish.
- On top of each waffle, place 1 slice of Arla Dofino Creamy Havarti Cheese and one piece of chicken. Return to the oven for a few minutes, until the cheese is nice and bubbly.
- Then, place a dollop of the cranberry compote on top, and garnish with a sprig of fresh rosemary.