Thank you to Sverve and Walmart for sponsoring today’s post. All opinions and recipes are my own.
Valentine’s Day is almost here and today I’ve got a sweet treat to share with you- Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches!
I was watching a show on the Cooking Channel the other day and they visited a little shop somewhere in California that made the most extraordinary ice cream sandwiches. They specialized in off-the-wall, mouth-watering flavor combinations that only a person with a sense of humor could concoct. There was even one inspired by Peking duck- you know, like the Chinese takeout favorite?!
Ever since I watched that show I’ve had ice cream sandwiches on my mind. I’ve been dreaming up my own crazy flavors, and while I plan to experiment with them a bit in the future, I decided that I would try a kid friendly version first. My oldest son is my taste-tester (aka, my food blog Guinea pig) and if he gives it two thumbs up, I know I have a winner!
These Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches are incredibly easy to make and come together in a snap. That’s because I skipped the whole cookie-baking thing and opted to use Glutino Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies instead. Easy, simple, delicious! These cookies are crunchy and packed full of chocolate chips, just the way I like ‘em. The best part is that you can now find them at your local Walmart in the newly expanded gluten free section. I scooped some up while visiting the recent gluten free event, and here’s a coupon so you can try them too!
Instead of spending my afternoon baking, I whipped up a batch of homemade chocolate chip ice cream (gluten free, of course). In no time at all, I had a big bowl of sweet and creamy chocolate chip ice cream. Since it’s made with coconut milk, it’s dairy free and offers many additional health benefits.
Just a spoonful of ice cream, two chocolate chip cookies, and you have an extra special sweet treat sure to please the little ones in your life (or yourself, there’s no judging here if you make these all for yourself)! Since Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, I decorated some of the ice cream cookie sandwiches with heart shaped sprinkles. Because, let’s get real here… sprinkles just make everything more fun!
Now that I’ve mastered these delicious Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches, I think next time I’ll give one of my wild and crazy flavor combos a a try…. anyone up for a little lemon cookie with sweet basil ice cream? Or maybe some Calabrian chili spiced ice cream with a wildflower honey cookie?? No? Did I go too far?
Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
Author: Christin @ Blue Crab Martini
- 2 cans of coconut milk, at room temperature
- 2 TBS pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup agave
- 2 TBS maple syrup
- Pinch of pink Himalayan sea salt (less than ¼ tsp)
- ½-1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Glutino Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Add the coconut milk to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Whisk on high speed for about 5 minutes, or until small peaks begin to form.
- Once the coconut milk has finished whisking, reduce the mixer speed to low and slowly add in the vanilla,agave, maple syrup, and salt. Whisk only until combined.
- Place ice cream batter into the refrigerator for 1-2 hours, until chilled thoroughly.
- Once chilled, give it a good whisk in the stand mixer just prior to adding to ice cream maker. This emulsifies the ingredients and creates a smooth and creamy texture.
- Use an ice cream mixer to freeze the batter and transform it into ice cream. Once ice cream is about ¾ of the way frozen, sprinkle in the chocolate chips. Let ice cream continue to freeze until desired consistency is reached.
- Then, to make the ice cream sandwiches, scoop a large spoonful of the ice cream and place it between two
- Glutino Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies.
- Garnish with sprinkles if desired.