It’s time for another round of the Monthly Ingredient Challenge! I was so excited when Mary from Goodie Godmother chose coconut as this month’s ingredient because it gave me the perfect excuse to make these Coconut Chicken Kabobs with Peach and Jalapeno Sauce.
Coconut is one of my favorite ingredients to work with (which you’ve probably noticed by now- hello ice cream, popsicles, bars, cake, donuts, pie, alfredo, and cocktails), but for the Monthly Ingredient Challenge I wanted to take a step outside of my comfort zone and use coconut in a whole new way.
I recently bought a grill pan from Sur la Table and I’ve been grilling ALL.THE.THINGS. Peaches, watermelon, corn, salmon, and even grapefruit have graced the surface of my new grill pan, so adding some chicken kabobs to the mix seemed like the natural thing to do!
For the Monthly Ingredient Challenge, I set out to use coconut in as many forms as possible. These Coconut Chicken Kabobs with Peach and Jalapeno Sauce use coconut milk, coconut oil, coconut flour, coconut sugar, and unsweetened coconut flakes. Both the sauce and chicken feature a variety of coconut flavor profiles that all come together to create one tasty dish.
If you’re a fan of the sweet n’ heat flavor combo, this dish is right up your alley. The chicken is marinated in a bath of coconut milk, tossed in a coconut coating, and then grilled to crispy perfection. Once the chicken kabobs are seared and ready to go, they’re drizzled with a tasty sauce made with grilled peaches and spicy jalapenos. The sweet peach and coconut flavors are nicely balanced by the spicy heat from the jalapenos. It’s a flavor that shouts summertime and leaves you coming back for more!
I hope you check out the other delicious coconut recipes my fellow blogger friends created for this round of the Monthly Recipe Challenge! Happy grilling my friends.
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 8 oz coconut milk
- ½ cup shredded, organic, unsweetened coconut
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of garlic powder
- 2 grilled peaches, roughly chopped
- 1 jalapeno chopped (to reduce heat level, use only ½ jalapeno)
- 1 TBS coconut oil
- 2 TBS coconut milk
- 1 tsp corn starch
- ¼ cup honey
- Place the chicken pieces into a small bowl and marinate in the coconut milk for 30 minutes in the refrigerator. (Note: be sure to soak your kabob skewers during this time too!)
- Mix the remainder of the ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
- Once the chicken has marinated, gently shake off the excess coconut milk and roll each piece in the coconut flour mixture so that it’s evenly coated. Place several pieces of chicken on each skewer.
- Cook chicken kabobs on an outdoor grill, or use an indoor grill pan. Cook until chicken is fully cooked and outside coating is golden brown.
- Combine all of the ingredients into a small saucepan and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes (while the chicken is cooking).
- Then, pour into a blender and pulse to combine.
- Serve the Coconut Chicken Kabobs hot off the grill with a light drizzle of Peach and Jalapeno Sauce. Enjoy!