I know what youre thinking how on Earth is an Alfredo dish healthy?! Especially one thats this delicious, creamy, rich and comforting. Dont worry, I havent lost all of my marbles (yet). This Spaghetti Squash Pumpkin Alfredo has a sneaky little secret that transforms it from a heavy cream-based sauce to one thats actually healthy.
That secret? I used whisked coconut milk in place of all dairy in the base of the Alfredo. The coconut milk gives the sauce a texture that, in my opinion, is even creamier and more indulgent than traditional Alfredos.
Now, dont get me wrong, coconut milk is still heavy on calories, but the health benefits of coconut milk far outweigh those of traditional dairy-based creams. According to Livestrong, the unique fatty acids in coconut milk may aid weight loss, improve immune function, reduce heart disease risk and improve skin and hair health. So Ill be thinner, stay healthy, and have more good hair days? Thats a win-win in my book!
To make this Spaghetti Squash Pumpkin Alfredo all you need are a few simple ingredients and about 5 minutes in the kitchen. Its an easy meal that comes together quickly but tastes like you spent all day tending to the stove.
I recently created this recipe when I had a roasted spaghetti squash but no sauce to top it with. There was some whisked coconut milk and pumpkin puree leftover from when I made this Paleo Pumpkin Mug Cake, so I just started mixing things together in a pan and voila- Pumpkin Alfredo!
This sauce is the perfect complement for the earthy, nutty flavor of roasted spaghetti squash. I topped it with a little Parmesan cheese and freshly grated nutmeg for a truly special meal.
Theres 5 days left in #EatLean2015, so I hope you come back soon to see what else Ive got in store for you! Until then, be sure to follow my #EatLean board on Pinterest for even more healthy and delicious recipe inspiration.
- 1 cup whisked coconut milk (whisk it in a stand mixer for 2-3 minutes)
- ½ cup organic pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup of freshly grated Parmesan (or more to suit your tastes)
- ½-1 tsp pink Himalayan salt, to taste
- Freshly grated nutmeg (about ¼ tsp)
- Freshly grated pepper, to taste
- 1 small/medium spaghetti squash roasted in the oven
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, warm the coconut milk and then stir in the pumpkin. Continue stirring until the pumpkin is well mixed into the coconut milk.
- Then add the Parmesan cheese and stir until the cheese melts into the sauce.
- Finally, add the spices and continue to simmer for 2-3 more minutes.
- Add the spaghetti squash strands to the pumpkin Alfredo and gently toss to combine.
- Top with additional Parmesan cheese and a sprinkle of freshly grated nutmeg.