Spring is here and that can only mean one thing- its almost time for strawberry season! Those bright red berries are so juicy and sweet, bursting with the fresh flavors of the season.
One of our familys favorite things to do each spring is to spend the afternoon picking strawberries. Theres nothing better than gettin a little dirt on your hands and gathering sweet strawberries by the bushel. Although, I have to admit, a few of them never seem to make it all the way home- they are just too tempting not to sample along the way!
Strawberries are a real treat all on their own, but they are even more delicious in this wholesome Frozen Strawberry Pie. A sweet, golden, (gluten free) graham cracker crust is topped with smooth, rich, strawberry cream. Its creamy, fresh, and tastes indulgent, but its made with healthy ingredients you can feel good about serving to your family. This Frozen Strawberry Pie would be a perfectly sweet ending to your first celebration this spring.
I originally contributed this recipe as a guest post on The Chirping Moms for their week of Spring Fever Recipes. While youre there check out the other yummy spring inspired recipes being featured this week! Enjoy!
- 7 oz (about ½ regular sized box) graham crackers (we use a Gluten Free variety)
- 4 Tbsp melted butter
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 TBS coconut sugar (optional)
- 2 cans of coconut milk (full fat), thoroughly chilled
- 1 Tbsp organic honey
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of Himalayan pink salt
- 2 tsp. coconut sugar
- 1 cup diced organic strawberries
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Preheat the oven to 375*.
- Crush the graham crackers into small crumbs; pour into a medium sized bowl.
- Pour the melted butter onto the graham crackers (and optional coconut sugar), stir to evenly combine.
- Add the whisked egg, stir again until all ingredients are fully mixed and the graham crackers have the consistency of “wet sand”.
- Carefully press graham cracker mixture into a pie dish, creating an even layer around the bottom and sides of the dish.
- Bake for about 10 minutes at 375*, depending on your oven. The crust should be firm, but be careful not to let it burn.
- Once the pie crust has finished baking, set it aside and let it cool.
- Once the coconut milk has thoroughly chilled, carefully scoop out the coconut cream that has hardened on top of the coconut milk. (Save the remaining liquid- it’s great in smoothies!)
- Add the coconut cream to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Whisk coconut on high speed until small peaks begin to form, about 3-4 minutes.
- Reduce speed to low and add the honey, vanilla, salt, and coconut sugar. Return speed to high and continue to whisk for about 1 minute.
- Turn off the mixer and set aside about ¾ cup of the cream as a topping for the finished pie.
- Add the strawberries and lemon juice and whisk on medium speed until the strawberries begin to break down and the ingredients are all thoroughly incorporated. (Note: this would be a good time to taste-test and see if any additional honey is needed to satisfy your sweet tooth!)
- Once the pie crust has thoroughly cooled, pour the strawberry filling into the crust and spread it around so that it forms an even layer.
- Cover, and place in the freezer for at least 4 hours.
- Remove pie from freezer about 20-30 minutes prior to serving so that it softens slightly.
- Top with the remaining cream and extra strawberries.