This post is sponsored by Sverve and Walmart and I was provided compensation for my time. However, all opinions and recipes are my own.
Much to my delight, our weather forecast for this week included the first snowfall of the year. As soon as I heard mention of those powdery white flakes, I knew my boys would be home from school (and in need of a hearty breakfast)! My homemade Gluten Free Cinnamon Apple Overnight French Toast was just what they needed to power through hours of frosty fun.
I love this recipe because you can prepare it the night before, and in the morning all you have to do is pop it in the oven- so easy! The best part is that it’s gluten free and made with healthy ingredients, things that are important to me as a mom.
The snow came down a bit quicker (and heavier) than predicted, so getting to the store wasn’t an option. Fortunately, I had just picked up a few loaves of Udi’s Florence Street Bakery Country Seeded Bread, and I had the rest of the ingredients on hand. That night I prepped the french toast and went to bed eagerly anticipating a delicious breakfast with my family!The next morning we awoke to a beautiful scene of snow-covered everything. The boys were eager to get outside and put their new snow boots to use, but the aroma of delicious french toast baking in the oven lured them into the kitchen instead. We gathered around the table and enjoyed a rare mid-week family breakfast, savoring every last bite, and every little smile.
Our family loves this Gluten Free Cinnamon Apple Overnight French Toast, and I’m certain we’ll be making it many more times throughout the long winter months ahead. It has the perfect golden brown crunch on top and just the right amount of ooey-gooey apple sweetness in the middle. I love using Udi’s Florence Street Bakery Country Seeded Bread for this recipe because it has the oomph to stand up to the egg mixture without getting soggy.
If you’re an Udi’s fan, like I am, then you might be surprised to know that this particular variety of bread is sold exclusively at Walmart, and is located in the bakery section (not the freezer aisle like most Udi’s products). Just a head’s up so you don’t spend hours wondering through the store looking for it.
I’m also excited to share that Walmart will be hosting a gluten free event on January 24th, 2015! You can find locations and learn more about the event by clicking here. Your’s truly will be there, so I hope that you stop by and say hi!
Gluten Free Cinnamon Apple Overnight French Toast
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
An easy gluten free breakfast that your whole family will enjoy. Prepare it the night before and in the morning, pop it in the oven to bake- so easy!
For the Apples:
4 organic apples, cut into 1/2-1″ cubes (I used Pink Lady apples, but any red/pink apple variety would work, green apples may be too tart)
1 TBS coconut sugar
1 TBS organic maple syrup
1 TBS cinnamon
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
Pinch of ground ginger
For the French Toast:
15 slices of Udi’s Florence Street Bakery Country Seeded Bread (gluten free), cubed
2 cups of organic milk (I used 2%)
3 tsp pure vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup organic maple syrup
1 TBS coconut sugar
To Prepare the Apples:
- Begin by preheating your oven to 375*.
- Then, combine your apple pieces with the coconut sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. Lightly toss the apples until they are evenly coated with syrup and spices.
- Pour the apples into an 8×8 baking dish and bake for 15 minutes at 375*. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
To Prepare the French Toast:
- In a blender, combine 1/2 cup of the baked apples, the eggs, milk, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, and maple syrup.
- Pulse in the blender until everything is well combined and smooth.
- Then, in a large bowl, lightly toss together the remaining baked apples and the cubed Udi’s bread.
- Lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish, and pour in the bread and apple mixture. (Note: you can also use ramekins to make individual portions of the baked french toast.)
- Pour the egg mixture from the blender over the bread and apples, making sure that everything is evenly coated.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- In the morning, preheat your oven to 375*. Sprinkle 1 TBS of coconut sugar over the french toast, and pop it in the oven to bake for 30 minutes. When done, it should be a nice golden brown color. (Note: if you’re using ramekins instead of a 9×13 baking dish, reduce the oven time accordingly.)
- Serve warm with maple syrup, a side of fresh apples, and a hot cup of coffe. Enjoy!