63 days. Thats all that stands between us and the official start of SPRING! I dont know about you, but I was done with winter the day it started. Im ready for sunshine, blue skies, and warm breezes. Its going to be a few more months before that happens, but dont fret, this Grapefruit Crush is like a burst of sunshine in the middle of winter!
Light, crisp, and refreshing, the Grapefruit Crush is the perfect way to shake off the winter blues. Citrus is at its peak this time of year, and Im trying to enjoy it in every form possible- including with vodka. Because lets be honest, everything is better with a little vodka, right?
Im no stranger to grapefruit drinks. If youve been a reader for awhile then you might recall the Grapefruit Mojito I shared last winter.
Theres just something so irresistible about grapefruits that makes me crave them this time of year. Maybe its their unique bitter flavor or maybe its their bright beautiful color. Whatever it is, its got me buying them by the dozen! Fortunately for me, the grocery store has been well stocked and weve been able to enjoy more than one Grapefruit Crush so far this winter.
My countdown to spring officially begins on January 1st every year, but honestly Im mentally craving it by early November. Now, in the middle of January when my toes are permanently numb and the the air is so cold it hurts, you know Im anxiously awaiting the return of warmer weather. I need that sun to shine and those clouds to go away, the snow to melt and the flowers to bloom.
63 days. Thats just 9 weeks. I can do it. I can endure the winter and make the best of it. And if all else fails, at least theres always grapefruit to get me through oh, and of course vodka! So shake up a Grapefruit Crush and join me as we countdown the days until the snow melts, the sun shines, and this chilly air turns into cherry blossoms. Cheers!
- 3 oz grapefruit flavored vodka (I recommend Absolut Ruby Red)
- ½ fresh grapefruit, juiced
- 2 tsp simple syrup
- Several oz of seltzer water (I used a raspberry lime flavored seltzer, but regular would work ok too)
- Crushed ice
- Sugar, to rim the glass (optional)
- Combine the vodka, grapefruit juice, and simple syrup in a glass filled with crushed ice.
- Using a second similar sized glass, combine the mixture by pouring it back and forth between the two glasses. (You could also use a martini shaker, but the two glass method is quite easy.)
- Then, rim your glass with sugar (optional).
- Pour the crushed ice and drink mixture into the rimmed glass.
- Top off with several oz of seltzer water. Enjoy!