I am scrambling to pack for a mini-vacation this weekend (see where were going), but before we head out the door I just have to share this recipe for Peach & Bourbon Ice Cream with you! I should warn you though, this ice cream is not for the kiddies. If you serve it at your next play date, you might receive a few angry phone calls from parents whos children came home with bourbon breath 😉
Last weekend we went peach picking at an orchard just outside of Centreville on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. Not many of the peaches were ripe yet, so it was a challenge finding the ones that were ready to be picked. After a morning spent in the hot summer sun, we came home with nearly a full bushel of peaches (as well as a few plums and apples too, bonus)!
My original plans were to make a pie with the peaches, but its been so darn hot that I decided to forgo baking and make ice cream instead. This Peach & Bourbon Ice Cream is my version of summer happy hour on a spoon. Its fruity, refreshing, and its oh-so boozy. As with my other ice cream recipes, this one is made from a coconut milk base and contains no refined sugar. Just another reason to give this recipe a try (as if you needed another reason hello, it has bourbon)!
Now, my suitcase still sits here unpacked, so I must get back to business. I dont think the Food & Wine Festival folks would appreciate me showing up in my pajamas! In the meantime heres a glimpse at our peach picking adventure and my recipe for Peach & Bourbon Ice Cream. Enjoy- or perhaps I should say cheers because this one boozy bowl of deliciousness!
Peach & Bourbon Ice Cream
2 cans of full fat coconut milk, at room temperature
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 Tbs pure vanilla extract
3 Tbs organic honey
4 oz mascarpone, at room temperature
1-2 oz of your favorite bourbon, depending on your flavor preferences (I went for the full 2 oz and didnt find it overwhelming)
7-9 ripe peaches (depending on their size), peeled and roughly chopped
1. Place the peaches in a blender and pulse until rough puree is formed. I like the texture of little bits and pieces of peach in my ice cream, but if you wanted a smoother puree that will work too. Set peaches aside until needed.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, add the coconut milk. Whisk on high speed for several minutes, or until small peaks begin to form.
3. The the mixing bowl add salt, vanilla, and honey and whisk until mixed, about 30 seconds.
4. Next, add the mascarpone and whisk on high until the texture is smooth.
5. Then, with the mixer on low speed, carefully pour in the peach puree and continue to whisk until the peaches are evenly mixed into the batter.
6. Add your desired amount of bourbon, whisk until mixed. Taste test to see if more bourbon is needed.
7. Cover the mixing bowl and chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours (I let mine hang out in the fridge overnight).
8. When the ice cream batter is thoroughly chilled, whisk briefly to remix the ingredients.
9. Use an ice cream maker to prepare the ice cream. Store in the freezer (if you have any left but Im willing to bet that you wont!)