Do you ever get a craving for something totally out of the blue? A craving so strong it hits you like a ton of bricks? Like a two-week-overdue-pregnant-lady pickles-and-ice-cream-kind-of-craving?? Yeah, that happened to me earlier this week (no, no, I’m not preggo). I was sitting in traffic and all of a sudden I wanted needed BASIL. I didn’t know exactly what I was going to make, but I knew it had to have basil- and lots of it!
Perhaps the only upside to traffic was that it gave me a few minutes to let my mind wander and plan a delicious meal. One of my all-time favorite things to eat is Caprese salad- full of tangy tomatoes, fresh mozzarella cheese, and of course copious amounts of B-A-S-I-L. I used these flavors as an inspiration for the meal, and by the time I reached the grocery store I had my plan nailed down.
Chicken Parmesan Sliders were the answer to my basil craving, but not just any old chicken parm would do! This dish is a fresh, garden to table remake of an old classic, and it’s packed with flavor in every bite. I started with a lightened-up baked chicken, added my favorite Slow Cooker Marinara Sauce, basil, fresh mozzarella, and sandwiched it all together with these savory Parmesan & Basil Biscuits. So many great flavors all wrapped up in one scrumptious little slider!
The whole family loved this one, and it made enough for tasty leftovers to enjoy the next day too (bonus)! The chicken was flavorful but not heavy like a typical parm dish, and the zesty marinara brought garden freshness to every bite. My basil craving was satisfied and my family was happily fed, definitely a win-win in my book! I hope you enjoy these Chicken Parmesan Sliders as much as we did, and as the Italian’s say “mangia bene, vivi felice” – EAT WELL, LIVE HAPPY!
Chicken Parmesan Sliders
*makes 8 sliders
One batch of this delicious Slow Cooker Marinara Sauce
One batch of these savory Parmesan & Basil Biscuits
4 organic chicken breasts, rinsed and patted dry, each cut in 1/2
2 TBS grated Parmesan cheese
1 TBS dried sweet basil
2 TBS high quality Italian seasoning
2 TBS melted butter
8 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced into 8 pieces
Several large sprigs of organic basil
DIRECTIONS – to prepare the chicken
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Mix the Parmesan cheese, dried basil, and Italian seasoning together in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly onto a flat plate.
3. Roll each chicken breast into the Parmesan and seasoning mixture. Coat evenly and be sure to shake off excess.
4. Place the chicken breasts onto a foil lined baking tray.
5. Lightly spoon the melted butter onto the chicken breasts.
6. Bake at 400° for about 20 minutes, or until juices run clear and chicken is thoroughly cooked.
DIRECTIONS – to assemble the sliders:
1. Slice each biscuit in half.
2. Next, layer on the chicken and mozzarella.
3. Cover with marinara sauce to your liking, and then add the basil leaves.
4. Top with the remaining biscuit piece.