Its time for another round of the Monthly Ingredient Challenge, and this month it was my turn to choose our ingredient. I thought long and hard about what to choose, but in the end I went with one of my all time favorite veggies- spaghetti squash! Its so versatile and Im excited to see the creations that my fellow blogger friends come up with.
Im a self-proclaimed pastatarian. I love my noodles, but they arent the healthiest thing in the world! Thats why spaghetti squash is so wonderful- you get all of the satisfaction of twirling a noodle around on your fork without the refined carbs. In fact, I just read in the latest issue of Food Network Magazine that 1 cup of spaghetti squash has only 42 calories and 10g of carbs, whereas traditional spaghetti has 221 calories and 43.2g of carbs per cup. That means you can sneak in that piece of pumpkin pie with a little less guilt
For the Monthly Ingredient Challenge I tossed together this Spaghetti Squash Stuffed with Spinach and Artichoke Dip. Its creamy, satisfying and loaded with healthy veggies! Plus it comes together in just a matter of minutes, making it a great option for busy weeknight meals.
To make this tasty dish, start by roasting your spaghetti squash (you can read more about how to do that here). Then lightly saute the greens, toss in some artichokes, add the cream cheese and Parmesan, and season to your liking. This delicious mixture gets tossed with the spaghetti strands and then stuffed back into the squash. I like to top it with a little more Parmesan and bake it in the oven until the top is golden brown.
If youre new to spaghetti squash, or are just looking to add a few more recipes to your rotation, be sure to check out some of my other tasty ideas below:
Im excited to check out the spaghetti squash creations that my fellow bloggers came up with for this round of the Monthly Ingredient Challenge! Be sure to stop by and give them a visit!
- 1 spaghetti squash, roasted in the oven
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 cups fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 2 cups fresh kale, stems removed, roughly chopped
- 6 oz marinated artichoke hearts, roughly chopped
- 8 oz cream cheese
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat your oven to 350*.
- Then, saute the kale and spinach in the olive oil over medium heat until they begin to wilt. You want them to soften but not fully cook. Toss in the artichoke hearts and stir.
- While the greens are sauteing, melt the cream cheese (either in a separate pan or in the microwave). Mix in the Parmesan cheese.
- Next, add the cream cheese mixture to the pan with the greens. Stir to combine and season with red pepper flakes, salt and black pepper. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Separate the “spaghetti” strands from the squash and add them to the pan. Mix the spinach dip with the spaghetti squash.
- Then divide the mixture equally among the two empty squash pieces, sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese, and bake in the oven for 10 minutes at 350*. Serve hot and enjoy!